Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Daikon

Today, I received a happy comment that my blog visitor has tried my Buri Daikon (Japanese amberjack or yellowtail simmered with daikon) and it came out pretty tasty :)

I am glad to know that my translation wasn't bad. Plus, I am happy to know my recipes are of help!!!

Speaking of daikon, I never knew it tastes bitter even if you par boil it with kome no togijiru (a cloudy rice water that you get when you wash rice). I searched online about it and found that the sharp taste of daikon (when raw) brings out the bitter taste when you boil. How interesting! So if you get wholly sharp daikon, it comes out very bitter X( Maybe I was just lucky that I haven't bought the sharp ones! Choose heavy daikon, which means juicy and sweet!

By the way, daikon is in season from autumn to winter, so there is less chance to get very sharp ones at that time ;) As you may know, the middle part of daikon root is soft and sweet, so it is well-suited to simmer, like Buri Daikon. The top part is much sweeter, so it is good for salad! The very bottom is sharp, so you might want to use for grated radish.

That's all for today.

It is brilliantly sunny outside! How nice!!!
I don't have a plan to go out, though...

See ya ;)

Please click below and vote for me.

ブログランキング・にほんブログ村へ

Popular Posts - Last 7 days