Kobumaki is kelp roll, one of the Japanese new year's dishes.
It makes a play on words with "喜ぶ (Yorokobu)" which symbolizes pleasure or delight.
Perfect dish that you want to add in your new year's menu.
Of course, it can be a regular bento side dish :)
It goes great with white rice!!!
For vegetarian people, you can substitute the filling with Gobo (burdock root), carrot, or/and other vegetables of your choice.
Kobumaki (Salmon and Pork Kelp Roll)
Number of servings: 25-30 pieces
10 ten-inch-long (25cm) Hidaka Kombu (this type cooks quick and tender)
150g (5.3oz.) salmon fillet
6 thinly sliced pork (I used thigh but any part is okay)
30g (1.0oz.) Kanpyō (dried gourd strips)
* 1 tbsp. Mirin (sweet Sake)
* 2 tbsp. Sake
* 3 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. soy sauce
1. Clean each Kombu with moistened towel. Soak in 800ml water for 5 minutes. Save the water.
2. Wash Kanpyō, rub 1/2 tbsp. of salt on Kanpyō (to remove bad smell and cook tender), then wash and drain well.
3. Cut salmon into about 0.7-inch-wide strips.
4. Place a salmon strip on the end of the Kombu close to you and roll securely. Wrap a strip of Kanpyō round the Kombu roll for 2 times (not too tight but not too loose), make double knot, then trim off the uneven ends. You may want to tie up 2 or 3 places.
5. In a large pot, place the rolls without overlapping each other. Pour the reserved soaking water just until it barely covers the ingredients. Bring to a boil, then remove the foam if necessary.
6. Add A, turn the heat down to low, cover with Otoshibuta (drop lid), and cook for 30 minutes.
7. Add soy sauce, cook on low for another 30 minutes until the cooking liquid is almost absorbed.
8. Turn off the heat. Leave to cool in the pot. Cut into 2 or 3 pieces.
You can store in the fridge for a week :)
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
FYI: 授かりアート ベリーペイント (Sazukari Art Belly Painting): http://ameblo.jp/sazukariart/entry-11940225303.html ♥Please Subscribe to my ...
Recently, this "Whole Tomato Rice" is talked about on the Internet and TV in Japan, so I tried it out!!! Yes! It is simple yet d...
Using this kit, you can avoid burning cookies in the microwave, like the ones I made before . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0undbKxnA...
10/10 is our 4th wedding anniversary. My darling's company allows to take an anniversary leave, so he took a day off yesterday (10/9) wh...
Tokyo Banana (東京ばな奈) is a very popular banana flavored sweet, often considered to be the #1 souvenir from Tokyo. I never thought of making...
Just make sure you harden it up in the freezer before you cut. Then you can make this easy and beautiful cookies with no worries ;) https...
I started using Instagram and I love it :D I always take pics out of habit but not sharing anywhere, so this app is perfect to share suc...
I received many requests for sesame seed dressing. Those requests weren't that specific, but I am guessing they want the creamy one, whi...
On 3/12, the day after the Miyagi Quake , our renovation was completed. In the midst of the afterquakes, we made final checks... how scary X...
Popin' Cookin' is a series of Japanese intellectual training DIY candy kits by Kracie that stretches kids' curiosity :) Alth...