Kobumaki is kelp roll, one of the Japanese new year's dishes.
It makes a play on words with "喜ぶ (Yorokobu)" which symbolizes pleasure or delight.
Perfect dish that you want to add in your new year's menu.
Of course, it can be a regular bento side dish :)
It goes great with white rice!!!
For vegetarian people, you can substitute the filling with Gobo (burdock root), carrot, or/and other vegetables of your choice.
Kobumaki (Salmon and Pork Kelp Roll)
Number of servings: 25-30 pieces
10 ten-inch-long (25cm) Hidaka Kombu (this type cooks quick and tender)
150g (5.3oz.) salmon fillet
6 thinly sliced pork (I used thigh but any part is okay)
30g (1.0oz.) Kanpyō (dried gourd strips)
* 1 tbsp. Mirin (sweet Sake)
* 2 tbsp. Sake
* 3 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. soy sauce
1. Clean each Kombu with moistened towel. Soak in 800ml water for 5 minutes. Save the water.
2. Wash Kanpyō, rub 1/2 tbsp. of salt on Kanpyō (to remove bad smell and cook tender), then wash and drain well.
3. Cut salmon into about 0.7-inch-wide strips.
4. Place a salmon strip on the end of the Kombu close to you and roll securely. Wrap a strip of Kanpyō round the Kombu roll for 2 times (not too tight but not too loose), make double knot, then trim off the uneven ends. You may want to tie up 2 or 3 places.
5. In a large pot, place the rolls without overlapping each other. Pour the reserved soaking water just until it barely covers the ingredients. Bring to a boil, then remove the foam if necessary.
6. Add A, turn the heat down to low, cover with Otoshibuta (drop lid), and cook for 30 minutes.
7. Add soy sauce, cook on low for another 30 minutes until the cooking liquid is almost absorbed.
8. Turn off the heat. Leave to cool in the pot. Cut into 2 or 3 pieces.
You can store in the fridge for a week :)
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
"Okaki" is rice crackers and "Age" means deep fried. I received a request for Okakiage, which appears on Manga: "...
Yaki Onigiri is Grilled Rice Balls. Crispy, smoky and savory on the outside, and soft inside. Perfect item for BBQ!!! http://www.youtu...
I receive many questions regarding the Cake Flour I use, so here is the answer! Cake Flour, we call 薄力粉 (Hakurikiko), is soft (weak) wheat...
I saw this idea on TV the other day and it was pretty good XD As compared to the regular choux pastry, Aburaage (deep fried tofu) is light ...
For those who have requested me the Japanese Cheesecake, this is the easiest recipe! Worth to try it out!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
If you just bake marshmallows, it will be one-ingredient cookie XD Very crisp like meringue cookies but way easier to make!!! No whipping...
Sweet corn and mayonnaise matches perfect with ham! Very popular and appetizing Japanese buns :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8cqftxE...
This video will show you how to make cute meatball curry. It is perfect for Independence Day! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwkp_FBl73I...
Somen is perfect refreshing food for hot and humid summer season :) Sōmen (素麺) is very thin Japanese noodles made of wheat flour. The nood...
This video will show you how to bake Curry and Rice Bread using a Home Bakery (Bread Machine or Bread Maker): Panasonic SD-BH104 http://w...