Kobumaki is kelp roll, one of the Japanese new year's dishes.
It makes a play on words with "喜ぶ (Yorokobu)" which symbolizes pleasure or delight.
Perfect dish that you want to add in your new year's menu.
Of course, it can be a regular bento side dish :)
It goes great with white rice!!!
For vegetarian people, you can substitute the filling with Gobo (burdock root), carrot, or/and other vegetables of your choice.
Kobumaki (Salmon and Pork Kelp Roll)
Number of servings: 25-30 pieces
10 ten-inch-long (25cm) Hidaka Kombu (this type cooks quick and tender)
150g (5.3oz.) salmon fillet
6 thinly sliced pork (I used thigh but any part is okay)
30g (1.0oz.) Kanpyō (dried gourd strips)
* 1 tbsp. Mirin (sweet Sake)
* 2 tbsp. Sake
* 3 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. soy sauce
1. Clean each Kombu with moistened towel. Soak in 800ml water for 5 minutes. Save the water.
2. Wash Kanpyō, rub 1/2 tbsp. of salt on Kanpyō (to remove bad smell and cook tender), then wash and drain well.
3. Cut salmon into about 0.7-inch-wide strips.
4. Place a salmon strip on the end of the Kombu close to you and roll securely. Wrap a strip of Kanpyō round the Kombu roll for 2 times (not too tight but not too loose), make double knot, then trim off the uneven ends. You may want to tie up 2 or 3 places.
5. In a large pot, place the rolls without overlapping each other. Pour the reserved soaking water just until it barely covers the ingredients. Bring to a boil, then remove the foam if necessary.
6. Add A, turn the heat down to low, cover with Otoshibuta (drop lid), and cook for 30 minutes.
7. Add soy sauce, cook on low for another 30 minutes until the cooking liquid is almost absorbed.
8. Turn off the heat. Leave to cool in the pot. Cut into 2 or 3 pieces.
You can store in the fridge for a week :)
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
I have had many requests to share hospital food in Japan so I decided to make this video. Meals during maternity stay were well balanced. Ho...
Very light and tasty. Addictive omelette indeed :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlmprA9VjP8 Serve the omelette as soon as possible o...
Shiroi Koibito (白い恋人), literally means "White Lovers", also called Chocolat Blanc et Langue de Chat, is the best and well-known so...
Recently, this "Whole Tomato Rice" is talked about on the Internet and TV in Japan, so I tried it out!!! Yes! It is simple yet d...
My friend told me that nutella pound cake is really good, so I decided to make it with cream cheese ;) I was right! It absolutely goes gre...
For those who have requested me the Japanese Cheesecake, this is the easiest recipe! Worth to try it out!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
You can make lightly sweetened fluffy pancakes in seconds! Perfect for babies and for adults who are on diet ;) https://www.youtube.com/w...
はしまき (Hashimaki) is Okonomiyaki wrapped around a pair of chopsticks. It is a popular festival food in Kansai area. http://www.youtube.com...
Great recipe for holiday seasons: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's parties :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7tYHNop8Kg I made...
Tokyo Banana (東京ばな奈) is a very popular banana flavored sweet, often considered to be the #1 souvenir from Tokyo. I never thought of making...