Kobumaki is kelp roll, one of the Japanese new year's dishes.
It makes a play on words with "喜ぶ (Yorokobu)" which symbolizes pleasure or delight.
Perfect dish that you want to add in your new year's menu.
Of course, it can be a regular bento side dish :)
It goes great with white rice!!!
For vegetarian people, you can substitute the filling with Gobo (burdock root), carrot, or/and other vegetables of your choice.
Kobumaki (Salmon and Pork Kelp Roll)
Number of servings: 25-30 pieces
10 ten-inch-long (25cm) Hidaka Kombu (this type cooks quick and tender)
150g (5.3oz.) salmon fillet
6 thinly sliced pork (I used thigh but any part is okay)
30g (1.0oz.) Kanpyō (dried gourd strips)
* 1 tbsp. Mirin (sweet Sake)
* 2 tbsp. Sake
* 3 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. soy sauce
1. Clean each Kombu with moistened towel. Soak in 800ml water for 5 minutes. Save the water.
2. Wash Kanpyō, rub 1/2 tbsp. of salt on Kanpyō (to remove bad smell and cook tender), then wash and drain well.
3. Cut salmon into about 0.7-inch-wide strips.
4. Place a salmon strip on the end of the Kombu close to you and roll securely. Wrap a strip of Kanpyō round the Kombu roll for 2 times (not too tight but not too loose), make double knot, then trim off the uneven ends. You may want to tie up 2 or 3 places.
5. In a large pot, place the rolls without overlapping each other. Pour the reserved soaking water just until it barely covers the ingredients. Bring to a boil, then remove the foam if necessary.
6. Add A, turn the heat down to low, cover with Otoshibuta (drop lid), and cook for 30 minutes.
7. Add soy sauce, cook on low for another 30 minutes until the cooking liquid is almost absorbed.
8. Turn off the heat. Leave to cool in the pot. Cut into 2 or 3 pieces.
You can store in the fridge for a week :)
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
Taiyaki is a very popular Japanese fish-shaped cake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFsQE0qd_4w My friend Kym designed those tees for m...
Roll Cake is a type of sponge cake roll. In Japan, we call it "Roll Cake" but in some other countries people call it Swiss roll or...
Last time , 2 days were not enough to enjoy Hakone, so we decided to stay 3 days this time :) Of course, we bought Hakone Freepass valid fo...
Dango is Japanese sweet dumplings. Three or four Dango are often served on a skewer, which we call Kushi Dango (串だんご). http://www.youtub...
Tokyo Banana (東京ばな奈) is a very popular banana flavored sweet, often considered to be the #1 souvenir from Tokyo. I never thought of making...
I started using Instagram and I love it :D I always take pics out of habit but not sharing anywhere, so this app is perfect to share suc...
I received many requests for sesame seed dressing. Those requests weren't that specific, but I am guessing they want the creamy one, whi...
This is the 21st hula dancing video :D Lei Pikake (jasmine flower lei) stands for your loved one. I could finally make this post since...
How to Make Ujikintoki (Uji Matcha Kakigori: Shaved Ice with Green Tea Syrup from Scratch) - Video RecipeThis recipe was requested by many people. I happened to see this cool Kakigori machine (ice shaving machine) on TV and bought this instantly...
Shiroi Koibito (白い恋人), literally means "White Lovers", also called Chocolat Blanc et Langue de Chat, is the best and well-known so...