Kobumaki is kelp roll, one of the Japanese new year's dishes.
It makes a play on words with "喜ぶ (Yorokobu)" which symbolizes pleasure or delight.
Perfect dish that you want to add in your new year's menu.
Of course, it can be a regular bento side dish :)
It goes great with white rice!!!
For vegetarian people, you can substitute the filling with Gobo (burdock root), carrot, or/and other vegetables of your choice.
Kobumaki (Salmon and Pork Kelp Roll)
Number of servings: 25-30 pieces
10 ten-inch-long (25cm) Hidaka Kombu (this type cooks quick and tender)
150g (5.3oz.) salmon fillet
6 thinly sliced pork (I used thigh but any part is okay)
30g (1.0oz.) Kanpyō (dried gourd strips)
* 1 tbsp. Mirin (sweet Sake)
* 2 tbsp. Sake
* 3 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. soy sauce
1. Clean each Kombu with moistened towel. Soak in 800ml water for 5 minutes. Save the water.
2. Wash Kanpyō, rub 1/2 tbsp. of salt on Kanpyō (to remove bad smell and cook tender), then wash and drain well.
3. Cut salmon into about 0.7-inch-wide strips.
4. Place a salmon strip on the end of the Kombu close to you and roll securely. Wrap a strip of Kanpyō round the Kombu roll for 2 times (not too tight but not too loose), make double knot, then trim off the uneven ends. You may want to tie up 2 or 3 places.
5. In a large pot, place the rolls without overlapping each other. Pour the reserved soaking water just until it barely covers the ingredients. Bring to a boil, then remove the foam if necessary.
6. Add A, turn the heat down to low, cover with Otoshibuta (drop lid), and cook for 30 minutes.
7. Add soy sauce, cook on low for another 30 minutes until the cooking liquid is almost absorbed.
8. Turn off the heat. Leave to cool in the pot. Cut into 2 or 3 pieces.
You can store in the fridge for a week :)
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Saturday, December 28, 2013
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
You will want to make this if you watch this ;) hehe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95dYm8M2o3w Hot Cake is Japanese pancake but it is ...
Easy, cute, gorgeous, and delicious idea with a homemade touch ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn8n8G_b3L4 I found cute chocolate tra...
Katsu Sando is Cutlet Sandwich. It is perfect for Bento (lunchbox item) and potluck parties, too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmkdRm8...
This video will show you how to make Pokémon Chocolate (Character Chocolate = Kyara Choco). (I used Photoshop to combine the characters and...
Low-fat high-protein dish. Perfect after exercise or while on a diet! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgMIFDuZJSA If you follow my Fac...
When I made Hot Cake (Japanese Pancake), I received many requests for the recipe from scratch, so here is the recipe. http://www.youtube....
Tonkatsu is a deep-fried pork cutlet. It is a very simple and popular home-cooked meal in Japan. "Ton" means "pork" in...
Shiroi Koibito (白い恋人), literally means "White Lovers", also called Chocolat Blanc et Langue de Chat, is the best and well-known so...
Sukiyaki is traditional and popular Japanese hot pot (nabemono) cooked with thinly sliced beef and some vegetables in soy based broth. It is...
Juicy 'N' Delicious Ginger Miso Eggplant Rice Bowl. Perfect dish for Bento lunch box, too!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCjx...