Nikujaga (Stewed Beef and Potatoes) is a very popular Japanese home cooked meal. You can be a good mom if you can cook this perfectly. hehe
You can make it with Ito Konnyaku (or Shirataki) and other vegetables (such as carrots) but simple is better!!!
Nikujaga (Stewed Beef and Potatoes)
Number of servings: 4
800g (1.8lb) Irish Cobbler potatoes
200g (7oz.) thinly sliced beef
1 (200g=7oz.) onion
4 tbsp. sugar
4 tbsp. soy sauce
8 frozen green beans *if you like
1. Peel and cut potatoes into 4~6 pieces, then do Mentori (plane off the corners) to prevent it from crumbling during long cooking. Soak in water for 10 minutes (to prevent from changing color & remove starch). Change water if it becomes cloudy.
2. Slice onion into bite-size wedges and separate into pieces. Cut thinly sliced beef into bite size pieces if necessary.
3. Place potatoes and onions in a pot. Add water, then put on medium.
4. When it becomes to a boil, turn down to low, and remove the foam. Then simmer on low for 3 minutes until the onions become tender.
5. Add 2 tbsp. of sugar, tilt the pot to mix (do not mix with chopsticks or a ladle or the potatoes will become mushy), then simmer on low for 3 minutes.
6. Add 2 tbsp. of soy sauce, tilt the pot to mix, then add beef little by little. *adding the seasonings half at a time will let them soak well.
7. Put on medium, then remove the foam.
8. When the meat is no longer pink, add 2 tbsp. of sugar and 2 tbsp. of soy sauce (tilt the pan to mix), then cover with Otoshibuta (drop lid) and simmer on medium low for 10 minutes. *you can taste and add a bit more soy sauce and sugar if necessary.
9. When the potatoes are cooked, tilt the pot and cook until the cooking liquid is almost gone.
10. Serve on a dish, and garnish with cooked green beans if you like.
Irish Cobbler potatoes soak the flavor very well and won't become soggy.
May Queen potatoes are okay, too.
Similar dish you may want to try:
Simmered Potato Pork Roll
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Saturday, May 10, 2014
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
You just need 6 ingredients ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzugYxNMD4Y By using cocoa powder instead of Matcha powder, you can make...
Only 3 Ingredients!!! Looks and tastes refreshing ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8PMzIeEaY Perfect summer treat. And sure, you ...
Very moist and tasty chicken nuggets which satisfies you while on diet :D Okara (soy pulp) is a bean curd refuse which is left after makin...
Sesame Seed Balls (芝麻球) are a Chinese sweet treat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkwHovGOSMc Instead of deep-frying them I baked in t...
Chiffon-like fluffy Matcha cupcakes with red bean sauce. Perfect WAFU combination ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZltUWKYwxg Instea...
Japanese Raindrop Cake looks like a big drop of water. It is a transparent jelly-like cake served with Kuromitsu (brown sugar syrup) and Kin...
I eat sesame seed snack every day, so I decided to make this :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-qf1D8wv20 Since maple syrup is very s...
This is a very basic recipe for Gyoza (fried dumplings)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffvdeBY6Ryw Gyoza is originally a Chinese dish,...
Harumaki was requested by my darling =) I combined my favorite shrimp and my darling's favorite meat (pork) together. http://www.yo...
Tamago Boro (Egg Biscuits) are very popular snack in Japan, especially among kids (from 7 month babies to toddlers)! https://www.youtube....