Matsutake Gohan (pine mushroom rice) is a very simple rice dish to enjoy the flavor of Matsutake mushrooms!
I saw on TV that you can create the Matsutake flavor by cooking Eryngii (royal trumpet) mushrooms and unshelled Edamame together since Eryngii mushrooms have the same texture as Matsutake and Edamame pods have the same flavor component as Matsutake. Very scientific logic. haha
It went viral in Japan, so I tried it out. Yes, it becomes a very dainty Matsutake rice dish. Try out and see how you like it ;)
Mock Matsutake Gohan (Pine Mushroom Rice)
Difficulty: Super Easy
Number of servings: 4
3 cups uncooked Japanese rice (short-grain rice)
100g (3.5oz.) Eryngii (royal trumpet) mushrooms
100g (3.5oz.) unshelled Edamame *fresh ones
* 600ml water
* 10cm/4inch-square Konbu (kelp)
* 1 tbsp. Sake
* 1.5 tbsp. soy sauce
* a pinch of salt
1. Wash rice and leave for about 30 minutes. If you are using pre-washed rice (musenmai) you don't have to wash it.
2. Clean Konbu with moistened towel. Soak in 600ml water for 30 minutes.
3. Slice Eryngii mushrooms. Rub the Edamame bean pods with 1 tsp. of salt to remove the surface fuzz and wash.
4. Place the rice in a pot, add Kombu Dashi (2) and the seasonings, then mix well. Place the Eryngii mushrooms and Edamame on top of the rice.
5. Place the pot into the rice cooker. Cover and press the button to start.
6. When it's done, remove Edamame (you can eat them as an appetizer), toss the rice lightly using a rice paddle, then serve.
Garnish with chopped Mitsuba (Japanese wild parsley) if you like.
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Friday, November 13, 2015
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
You just need 6 ingredients ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzugYxNMD4Y By using cocoa powder instead of Matcha powder, you can make...
Sesame Seed Balls (芝麻球) are a Chinese sweet treat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkwHovGOSMc Instead of deep-frying them I baked in t...
Only 3 Ingredients!!! Looks and tastes refreshing ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8PMzIeEaY Perfect summer treat. And sure, you ...
Chawanmushi, literally "steamed in a tea cup", is a traditional Japanese savory egg custard appetizer with some little pieces of f...
As seen in Anime or Manga?! I received many requests for this recipe. hehehe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cA4VN_ywfo You can drink ...
Very moist and tasty chicken nuggets which satisfies you while on diet :D Okara (soy pulp) is a bean curd refuse which is left after makin...
Chiffon-like fluffy Matcha cupcakes with red bean sauce. Perfect WAFU combination ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZltUWKYwxg Instea...
Tamago Boro (Egg Biscuits) are very popular snack in Japan, especially among kids (from 7 month babies to toddlers)! https://www.youtube....
Perfect Christmas cake recipe for those who don't have an oven. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hwcu1K5SE Please use your favorite...
I eat sesame seed snack every day, so I decided to make this :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-qf1D8wv20 Since maple syrup is very s...