Cute rice dish idea for Bento box or Parties!
Perfect for Valentine's Day and Ohanami (Sakura viewing) Bento ;)
I found canned Hamanako Broiled Eels at a supermarket and it also tasted great! You can maybe get it online since it has a long expiry date!
FYI: Umaki is broiled eel wrapped in Japanese rolled omelette (called Tamagoyaki, Dashimakitamago, or Atsuyakitamago). Egg is juicy and eel makes it very tasty. It tastes great even when it is cold.
Heart-Shaped Umaki Maki-Zushi (Eel Rolled Omelette)
Number of servings: 8 pieces
18x13cm (7x5.1inch) Tamagoyaki Nabe (rectangular omelet pan)
1 canned Unagi no Kabayaki (broiled eel on skewers is OK)
2 tsp. Yamaki Kappo Shiro Dashi (White Dashi)
300g (10.6oz.) cooked Japanese rice (short-grain rice)
2 tbsp. Sushi vinegar*
2 Nori seaweed sheet
1. If necessary, cook the eel as directed on its package. (You don't have to cook the canned one)
2. Mix eggs and Yamaki Kappo Shiro Dashi very well.
3. Heat cooking oil in a Tamagoyaki Nabe (rectangular omelette pan), pour a thin layer of egg mixture in the pan and spread over the surface. Cook until half done, place a strip of eel, roll up the egg, and move it to one end. Pour in another thin layer of egg mixture and let it flow under the rolled egg also. Cook until half done and again roll up the egg. Repeat this until half the mixture is gone.
4. Wrap the rolled egg while warm in plastic wrap to even out the shape. Allow it to cool.
5. Cut the egg diagonally and join the cut sides reversely to make a heart shape. Wrap the egg with 1/2 Nori sheet, then wrap in plastic wrap and wait until the Nori gets soft. *it is to define the outline of the heart-shape.
6. Place cooked Japanese rice in a bowl. Add Sushi vinegar while the rice is hot and slice through rice using a rice paddle to separate the grains. Spread the Sushi rice on another 1/2 Nori sheet using your finger tips, little bit moistened with water.
7. Place an extra Sushi rice for the “v” shape indentation of the heart shape.
8. Place the egg then start rolling.
9. With a moistened knife (bread knife cuts well) cut the roll into 4 pieces (re-wet as needed. don't push but pull to cut).
Eat with soy sauce if you like.
* Ingredients to make Sushi vinegar from scratch.
1.5 tbsp. rice vinegar
1/2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Tuesday, January 5, 2016
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
Japanese style gender reveal sweet treat idea!!! You will find Black Moor Goldfish if it is a boy, Red Goldfish if it is a girl =) https:...
You need only 2 ingredients! Super easy comfort food, perfect on cold weather. Healthier than drinking hot chocolate ;) https://www.you...
Harihari came from the crunchy texture of Daikon radish. This dish goes great with white rice! Not really for bento box because it smells :P...
Very easy and beautiful idea to decorate your sweets :) Sakura will be in bloom in April. Can't wait for spring to come!!! http://...
Inarizushi (稲荷寿司) is a pouch of aburaage (fried tofu) filled with sushi rice. This recipe is perfect for parties or any kind of event! I...
Anmitsu is a traditional Japanese healthy Wagashi (dessert) mainly consists of small cubes of Kanten (agar agar) jelly, Anko (sweet red bean...
Quick and easy recipe using a frying pan. Fluffy, moist and chewy!!! You can add spices if you like ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K...
Sakura Mochi is Wagashi (Japanese confectionery) which is pink like Sakura (cherry blossom). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8xdNGcAg5k ...
Mix and bake! Super easy and healthy!!! Very rich and tasty without dairy product. yum Note: please use a square cake pan for the brownie...
Japanese Doll Festival (Hinamatsuri), or Girls' Day, is held on March 3rd. On this day, we set up hina dolls (hina-ningyo) since they a...