Roll Cake is a type of sponge cake roll. In Japan, we call it "Roll Cake" but in some other countries people call it Swiss roll or jelly roll.
I used to make it every week when I first knew that I can make it at home. But now I haven't made it for a long while… maybe for more than 5 years! LoL
Anyways, thanks to my recipe, I could make it again! hehe
Japanese Roll Cake
Number of servings: 8 pieces
9-inch square brownie pan
50g (1.8oz.) superfine sugar
35g (1.2oz.) cake flour
20g (0.7oz.) milk (room temperature)
200ml fresh cream (heavy whipping cream)
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
some fruits of your choice: strawberry, kiwi, canned fruits are okay!
1. Line the brownie pan with waxed paper or parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
2. Beat eggs and sugar with wire whisk in a metal bowl. Placed it over the pan of hot water and melt the sugar and warm them up to 40C (104F).
3. Then with an electric mixer, beat the batter on high speed for about 5 minutes until white and fluffy. Then on low speed, beat for about 2 minutes to set the texture.
4. Sift in flour and fold together with spatula for about 10 times.
5. Add milk and fold together with spatula for about 50 times until combined.
6. Spread the batter in the brownie pan and drop the pan lightly on the counter to raise the air bubbles out of the batter.
7. Bake at 180C (350F) for 11-12 minutes till lightly brown. (Depending on the heat of the oven, cooking time may differ, so please watch out.)
8. When it's done, drop the pan lightly to prevent shrinking. Remove the sponge cake from the pan by lifting the wax paper and place it on a wire rack to cool.
9. When it's cool enough, remove the parchment paper and place the sponge cake on the parchment paper with the brown side up.
1. Combine fresh cream and granulated sugar in a dry, clean bowl. Float the bottom of the bowl in ice water, whisk the cream until it forms a soft peak.
2. Dice the fruits of your choice.
3. Coat the surface of the sponge cake evenly with the cream. Place the fruits over the creamed surface (leave an inch at both ends).
4. Wrap the cake in the parchment paper and put in a fridge for 30 minutes to set.
5. Cut into round pieces! The best way to cut the cake is to use a knife that has been warmed in hot water. Dip the knife in hot water, wipe, and cut. Repeat this each time you cut!
My darling had it for breakfast. hehe
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Please Click Below and Vote for me♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
The trick to make runny soft boiled egg Tempura is to use frozen eggs :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0D8nfsZMS8 ----------------...
This set of 4 cute tofu stamps is a very popular item sold at DAISO (100yen shop in Japan). It can get sold out quite soon, so if you happen...
Did you know you can make jelly from gummies?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRHdt9s4YWY Very EASY and refreshing sweet treat :) -...
Tai-Meshi (Sea Bream Rice) is one of the most popular dishes served on festive occasions, such as birthdays, New Year, weddings, etc… Howeve...
Super quick, healthy, and refreshing Takikomi Gohan (flavored rice dish) using Ajipon (Ponzu sauce)! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq-S...
Lately, my darling shared with me a newspaper article (Nikkei MJ 2013/4/17 issue - I know it is pretty old. lol) about the cake shop that se...
Anmitsu is a traditional Japanese healthy Wagashi (dessert) mainly consists of small cubes of Kanten (agar agar) jelly, Anko (sweet red bean...
I know you love crêpe!!! This is absolutely easy and delicious :3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9mHq9xxunA Of course you can just w...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3bnAuEJTJc Karuizawa town in Nagano prefecture is one of the most famous resort destinations in Japan to...
Healthy and addictive hamburger steak using NO MEAT, only Tofu :D Believe it or not, it is not at all soggy but very filling!!! https://...