Roll Cake is a type of sponge cake roll. In Japan, we call it "Roll Cake" however in some other countries people call it Swiss roll, jelly roll, log cake, etc.
This recipe is a very basic one. More roll cake ideas are linked in the end of this video, available on my channel ;)
Japanese Roll Cake
Number of servings: 8 pieces
9-inch square brownie pan
50g (5&1/2 tbsp.) superfine sugar
35g (4&1/3 tbsp.) cake flour
20g (1&1/3 tbsp.) milk *room temperature
200ml whipping cream
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
some fruits of your choice: strawberry, kiwi, canned fruits are okay!
1. Line the brownie pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
2. Beat eggs and sugar with a whisk in a bowl. Place it over hot water, melt the sugar, and warm it up to 40C (105F).
3. Then with an electric mixer, beat the warmed mixture on high speed for about 5 minutes until white and fluffy. Then turn down to low and beat for about 2 minutes to set the texture.
4. Sift in flour and fold together with a spatula for about 10 times.
5. Add milk, then fold together with a spatula for about 50 times until combined.
6. Spread the batter into the pan and drop the pan lightly on the counter to raise air bubbles out of the batter.
7. Bake at 180C (350F) for 11-12 minutes till lightly brown. (Depending on the heat of the oven, cooking time may differ, so please watch out.)
8. When it's done, drop the pan lightly to prevent shrinking. Remove the sponge cake from the pan by lifting the parchment paper and place it on a wire rack to cool.
9. When it's cool enough, remove the parchment paper and place the sponge cake on the parchment paper with the brown side up.
1. Combine whipping cream and granulated sugar in a dry clean bowl. Float the bottom of the bowl in ice water, then whisk the cream until it forms a soft peak.
2. Dice the fruits of your choice.
3. Coat the surface of the sponge cake evenly with the cream. Place the fruits over the creamed surface (leave an inch at both ends).
4. Roll the cake in the parchment paper and put in the fridge for over 30 minutes to set.
5. Cut into round pieces to serve. The best way to cut the cake is to use a knife that has been warmed in hot water. Dip the knife in hot water, wipe, and cut. Repeat this each time you cut!
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
You will want to make this if you watch this ;) hehe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95dYm8M2o3w Hot Cake is Japanese pancake but it is ...
Easy, cute, gorgeous, and delicious idea with a homemade touch ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn8n8G_b3L4 I found cute chocolate tra...
Katsu Sando is Cutlet Sandwich. It is perfect for Bento (lunchbox item) and potluck parties, too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmkdRm8...
This video will show you how to make Pokémon Chocolate (Character Chocolate = Kyara Choco). (I used Photoshop to combine the characters and...
Low-fat high-protein dish. Perfect after exercise or while on a diet! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgMIFDuZJSA If you follow my Fac...
When I made Hot Cake (Japanese Pancake), I received many requests for the recipe from scratch, so here is the recipe. http://www.youtube....
Tonkatsu is a deep-fried pork cutlet. It is a very simple and popular home-cooked meal in Japan. "Ton" means "pork" in...
Shiroi Koibito (白い恋人), literally means "White Lovers", also called Chocolat Blanc et Langue de Chat, is the best and well-known so...
Sukiyaki is traditional and popular Japanese hot pot (nabemono) cooked with thinly sliced beef and some vegetables in soy based broth. It is...
Juicy 'N' Delicious Ginger Miso Eggplant Rice Bowl. Perfect dish for Bento lunch box, too!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCjx...