Thursday, February 28, 2008

Recipes for Japanese Doll Festival

Hi! I'm back!!!

As I said yesterday, I'm gonna write about my cute recipes for Japanese Doll Festival (Hinamatsuri).

The Japanese Doll Festival (Hinamatsuri), or Girls' Day, is held on March 3rd.
On this day, we set up hina dolls (hina-ningyo) since they are believed to protect girls from bad luck.
Platforms with red felt cloth (hi-mosen) are used to display a set of hina dolls. Those dolls consist of the Emperor (odairisama), Empress (ohinasama), three court ladies (sanninkanjyo), and five musicians (goninbayashi) in traditional court dress of the Heian period.

2 years ago, I made the Emperor and the Empress using "chirashi sushi rice balls".
I made their court dresses using crepe style fried egg (usuyakitamago).
Their heads are too big, but adorable, right?
The recipe is here.



Then last year, I made them in a different style.
This time, I just made rice balls.
I used candy cheese for their head.
It was pretty easy, but very abstract :)
The recipe is here.





Also, on Hinamatsuri, we eat colorful rice puffs (hina-arare).
You can make this easily from sticky rice (mochigome).
The recipe is here.






Now I am thinking what to make this year.
Hmm...
Will see :)

Please click below and vote for me.



Popular Posts - Last 7 days