Monday, May 26, 2008

Tonkatsu - Pork Cutlet

It was a rainy weekend.
It cleared up today, but it gonna rain again from Thursday :(

On Saturday, my boyfriend and I went to a famous Tonkatsu restaurant called "Katsukura" near the station. Tonkatsu is a popular (home-style) dish in Japan. It is a deep-fried breaded pork cutlet about two centimeters (0.7 inch) thick and sliced into bite-sized pieces, served with tonkatsu sauce (a type of thick Japanese Worcestershire sauce) and shredded cabbage on the side.
Katsukura's main branch is in Kyoto. They are picky about their foodstuff. They use hearth-baked crispy bread crumbs that seal in the flavor of pork. Their cabbage is fresh from the farm. For their dressing, they only use yuzu (citrus ichangensis) from Kitoumura in Tokushima prefecture. The oil they use to fry is trans fatty acid free, which is healthy. They certainly ensure the safe pork for the cutlet. Tonkatsu sauce they use is made with red wine, apple and natsumeyashi (Chinese date), that give a mild and rich taste.
For tonkatsu, either a pork fillet or pork loin cut may be used. My boyfriend loves pork loin, so he ate a 170g (6oz) portion of it. They also have takiawase (simmered seasonal vegetables)! This is my favorite, so I had it instead of eating cutlet :) To tell the truth, I am not that crazy about tonkatsu, but they have what we each like, so we go there once in a while!

On Sunday, I created 5 new recipes as usual.
I don't mention it in my diary every time, but I get this done every week.

Now it is almost 0AM!
Again, running out of time!
I gotta stop now.
Will write tomorrow :)
Good night!!!

Please click below and vote for me.



Popular Posts - Last 7 days