Monday, March 31, 2008

California Roll

It was very freezing and raining this morning!
I wore down-jacket...
It has been raining since Saturday night.
On Saturday morning, I took some pictures of cherry blossoms but they weren't in full bloom.

This morning, I saw them falling in the rain, so I guess Saturday was the peak.

Today, I will translate my California Roll recipe.
It is perfect and gorgeous selection for Ohanami, (cherry blossom viewing)!

Video Recipe Available :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQZEf3NCCo4



---------------------------------
California Roll

Difficulty: Easy
Time: 60min (includes rice cooking time)
Number of servings: 8 rolls (48 pieces)

Necessary Equipment:
suihanki (Japanese rice cooker)
makisu (bamboo sushi-roll mat)

Ingredients:
3 cups uncooked Japanese rice (short-grain rice)
A
* 4.5 tbsp. rice vinegar
* 1.5 tbsp. sugar
* 1.5 tsp. salt
2 avocados
20-24 imitation crab sticks
4 nori sheets
toasted sesame seeds
soy sauce
wasabi (Japanese Horseradish Paste) if desired
pickled Ginger if desired

Directions:
1. Cook rice and place in a bowl. Add A while the rice is hot and slice through rice using rice paddle to separate the grains.
2. Peel avocados and cut them into 8 strips each (total of 16 stripes).
3. Cover a bamboo sushi-roll mat with plastic wrap. Cut nori sheet in half and place it on the bamboo sushi-roll mat, shiny side down.
4. Spread 1/8 of sushi rice (1.) on the nori sheet using your finger tips, little bit moistened with water. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the sushi rice and turn it over so that the nori sheet facing you.
5. Place avocado and imitation crab sticks lengthwise on the nori sheet. (cut them if too long.)
6. Roll the bamboo mat forward, hold the line of ingredients firmly with your fingers, stop and leave about 1/3 inch of sushi rice, make sure all the ingredients are pressed in, roll it completely, gently press the mat around the roll to shape it (do not squeeze).
7. With a moistened knife (bread knife cuts well!) cut the roll into 6 pieces (re-wet as needed. don't push but pull to cut!).
8. Serve with soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger.

My original recipe in Japanese is here.
---------------------------------


You know what!?
The bread knife, I mentioned in the recipe, is the Miracle Blade which I purchased at eBay 5 years ago.
I saw it on TV and wanted to get one!
Actually it comes in a kit but I purchased only one.
I don't know the name of the knife, but on TV, it could even cut a rock!!!
It couldn't really though, ha-ha.

Please click below and vote for me.



Popular Posts - Last 7 days