Umaki is broiled eel wrapped in Japanese rolled omelette (called Tamagoyaki, Dashimakitamago, or Atsuyakitamago). Egg is juicy and eel makes it very tasty. It tastes great even when it is cold, so it is a perfect side dish for bento lunch box!
I usually put Umaki in our Osechi-ryori (New Year's foods).
FYI: Broiled eel on skewers is called "Unagi no Kabayaki".
Umaki (Japanese Eel Omelette)
Number of servings: 2
1/2 Unagi no Kabayaki (broiled eel on skewers)
eel sauce if attached
* 50ml Dashi broth (you can use Dashi powder to make it)
* 1 tsp. soy sauce
* 1 tsp. sugar
* a pinch of salt
Daikon Oroshi (grated Daikon radish)
1. Cook the eel as directed on its package. Cut into thin portions. Pour some eel sauce over the eel if available. (I found Hamanako Broiled Eels at a supermarket and it also tasted great! You can maybe get it online since it has a long expiry date!)
2. Beat eggs in a bowl, add A and mix well.
3. Coat a Tamagoyaki Nabe (rectangular omelette pan) with a bit of cooking oil - you can use folded paper towel but Takoyaki oil brush is very convenient to use! Put on medium, and pour a thin layer of egg mixture in the pan. Place the eel strips, cook the egg until half done, then roll the egg. Move the rolled egg to one side, coat the empty space with a bit of oil, pour a thin layer of egg mixture in the space and under the rolled egg. Cook it until half done and roll the egg again. Repeat this until the egg mixture is gone.
4. Wrap the rolled egg while hot in a bamboo sushi roll mat to even out the shape. Allow it to cool and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
5. Garnish with grated Daikon radish (grate the top part of Daikon because it is sweeter) and a few drops of soy sauce: this is called "Someoroshi" because the radish is dyed with soy sauce.
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
Karaage (also called Tatsutaage) is Japanese fried chicken. It is usually cooked for lunch, dinner, or bento. Also, it is the best party rec...
Recently, this "Whole Tomato Rice" is talked about on the Internet and TV in Japan, so I tried it out!!! Yes! It is simple yet d...
Popin' Cookin' is a series of Japanese intellectual training DIY candy kits by Kracie that stretches kids' curiosity :) Alth...
Using this kit, you can avoid burning cookies in the microwave, like the ones I made before . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0undbKxnA...
Tokyo Banana (東京ばな奈) is a very popular banana flavored sweet, often considered to be the #1 souvenir from Tokyo. I never thought of making...
I started using Instagram and I love it :D I always take pics out of habit but not sharing anywhere, so this app is perfect to share suc...
I received many requests for sesame seed dressing. Those requests weren't that specific, but I am guessing they want the creamy one, whi...
Moist and fluffy cupcakes with custard whipped cream filling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgWKARYqOnE I received a lot of requests f...
10/10 is our 4th wedding anniversary. My darling's company allows to take an anniversary leave, so he took a day off yesterday (10/9) wh...
For those who have requested me the Japanese Cheesecake, this is the easiest recipe! Worth to try it out!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?...