Umaki is broiled eel wrapped in Japanese rolled omelette (called Tamagoyaki, Dashimakitamago, or Atsuyakitamago). Egg is juicy and eel makes it very tasty. It tastes great even when it is cold, so it is a perfect side dish for bento lunch box!
I usually put Umaki in our Osechi-ryori (New Year's foods).
FYI: Broiled eel on skewers is called "Unagi no Kabayaki".
Umaki (Japanese Eel Omelette)
Number of servings: 2
1/2 Unagi no Kabayaki (broiled eel on skewers)
eel sauce if attached
* 50ml Dashi broth (you can use Dashi powder to make it)
* 1 tsp. soy sauce
* 1 tsp. sugar
* a pinch of salt
Daikon Oroshi (grated Daikon radish)
1. Cook the eel as directed on its package. Cut into thin portions. Pour some eel sauce over the eel if available. (I found Hamanako Broiled Eels at a supermarket and it also tasted great! You can maybe get it online since it has a long expiry date!)
2. Beat eggs in a bowl, add A and mix well.
3. Coat a Tamagoyaki Nabe (rectangular omelette pan) with a bit of cooking oil - you can use folded paper towel but Takoyaki oil brush is very convenient to use! Put on medium, and pour a thin layer of egg mixture in the pan. Place the eel strips, cook the egg until half done, then roll the egg. Move the rolled egg to one side, coat the empty space with a bit of oil, pour a thin layer of egg mixture in the space and under the rolled egg. Cook it until half done and roll the egg again. Repeat this until the egg mixture is gone.
4. Wrap the rolled egg while hot in a bamboo sushi roll mat to even out the shape. Allow it to cool and cut it into bite-sized pieces.
5. Garnish with grated Daikon radish (grate the top part of Daikon because it is sweeter) and a few drops of soy sauce: this is called "Someoroshi" because the radish is dyed with soy sauce.
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
FYI, mine was 210yen (about US$2.1) in Japan. Popin’ Cookin’ is a series of Japanese intellectual training DIY candy kits by Kracie that s...
Please follow my Instagram!!! I share pics out of habit ;) Please find "ochikeron" at Instagram ;) http://instagram.com/och...
Shiroi Koibito (白い恋人), literally means "White Lovers", also called Chocolat Blanc et Langue de Chat, is the best and well-known so...
Just mix in a bowl, and bake!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXZ84x7daEY Super easy idea, perfect for Valentine's day ;) ---...
For those who have requested me the Japanese Cheesecake, this is the easiest recipe! Worth to try it out!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
Tokyo Banana (東京ばな奈) is a very popular banana flavored sweet, often considered to be the #1 souvenir from Tokyo. I never thought of making...
Sesame Seed Balls (芝麻球) are a Chinese sweet treat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkwHovGOSMc Instead of deep-frying them I baked in t...
I received many requests for sesame seed dressing. Those requests weren't that specific, but I am guessing they want the creamy one, whi...
The other day, I was looking for a cake pan on the Net and ended up finding many 2 ingredients chocolate cake posts! This idea must be popul...
Just make sure you harden it up in the freezer before you cut. Then you can make this easy and beautiful cookies with no worries ;) https...