Japanese Doll Festival (Hinamatsuri), or Girls' Day, is held on March 3rd.
On this day, we set up hina dolls (hina-ningyo) since they are believed to protect girls from bad luck.
This year (2015) was my daughter's 1st Hinamatsuri! The very first celebration is important, when family members hope for growth and happiness for baby girls. My daughter still can't eat anything but I hope she liked this Sushi cake :)
Hishi Mochi (diamond shaped rice cake) is usually presented with hina dolls. Hishi Mochi commonly consists of three layers: pink, white, and green, from top to bottom. It is said that pink represents peach flowers, white represents snow, and green represents grass. Those colors have a meaning to get the power of nature. Therefore, I used these three colors for my Sushi Cake :)
Sushi Cake for Hinamatsuri
Number of servings: 4 people = 15cm (6inch) round cake pan
green/white/pink Sushi rice
Kinshi Tamago (shredded egg crepe)
2 quail eggs
Nori seaweed sheet
Ikura (salmon roe)
Sakura Denbu (pink colored seasoned shredded codfish)
1. Wet the cake pan (or line with plastic wrap). Place the crab meat Sushi rice and press down flat with a rice paddle or a spoon. Then place the white Sushi rice and the Aonori Sushi rice one after another and flatten as well. Turn the cake pan upside down onto a plate to remove the rice.
2. Make a thin ribbon of cucumber for Odairisama (prince)'s Kimono and slice the leftover into thin rounds.
3. Cut out the egg crepe and make a scepter and a fan. Thinly slice the leftover.
4. Place the cucumber slices and shredded egg crepe on the Sushi cake. Wrap the quail eggs with a cucumber ribbon (prince) and smoked salmon (princess). Let them hold the scepter (prince) and the fan (princess). Cut out Nori sheet to make their faces. Attach their hairs with bento picks. Garnish with Ikura and Sakura Denbu to finish.
* お雛様 (ohinasama: princess) holds a fan called 扇子 (sensu) in both hands.
* お内裏様 (odairisama: prince) holds a flat wooden scepter called 笏 (shaku) symbolic of his rank in his right hand.
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
You just need 6 ingredients ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzugYxNMD4Y By using cocoa powder instead of Matcha powder, you can make...
Only 3 Ingredients!!! Looks and tastes refreshing ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8PMzIeEaY Perfect summer treat. And sure, you ...
Very moist and tasty chicken nuggets which satisfies you while on diet :D Okara (soy pulp) is a bean curd refuse which is left after makin...
Sesame Seed Balls (芝麻球) are a Chinese sweet treat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkwHovGOSMc Instead of deep-frying them I baked in t...
Chiffon-like fluffy Matcha cupcakes with red bean sauce. Perfect WAFU combination ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZltUWKYwxg Instea...
Japanese Raindrop Cake looks like a big drop of water. It is a transparent jelly-like cake served with Kuromitsu (brown sugar syrup) and Kin...
I eat sesame seed snack every day, so I decided to make this :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-qf1D8wv20 Since maple syrup is very s...
Tamago Boro (Egg Biscuits) are very popular snack in Japan, especially among kids (from 7 month babies to toddlers)! https://www.youtube....
This is a very basic recipe for Gyoza (fried dumplings)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffvdeBY6Ryw Gyoza is originally a Chinese dish,...
Harumaki was requested by my darling =) I combined my favorite shrimp and my darling's favorite meat (pork) together. http://www.yo...