Ohagi or Botamochi is a traditional Japanese sweet made with sweet sticky rice and sweet Azuki (red bean paste). There are different stories about the origin of having two names: you can google and find them, but either name is correct to call. BTW, I call it Ohagi when it is coated with red bean paste with skins. Botamochi without skins. hehe
We enjoy Ohagi or Botamochi as an everyday snack but it is commonly sold in stores during the buddhist Higan holiday in spring and fall, and Bon holiday in summer as well for an offering to the ancestors.
Homemade one is very soft and delicate!!!
Please try it out ;)
Ohagi / Botamochi (Japanese Sweet Sticky Rice Balls)
Number of servings: about 10 pieces
1 rice measuring cup uncooked Mochi sticky rice
1 rice measuring cup uncooked white rice
Tsubu-an (sweet Azuki red bean paste with skins)
Kinako (soybean flour) + sugar if you like
ground toasted black sesame seeds + sugar if you like
Aonori (green laver)
1. Wash rice and leave for about 30 minutes.
2. Put the rice in a pot, add water to the appropriate level indicated in the pot. Place the pot into the rice cooker. Cover and press the button to start.
3. When it's done, mash the rice with a wooden pestle then toss the rice with a rice paddle (or you can use a potato masher). Repeat this to mash halfway through or until you get the grain texture to your preference.
4. Divide the rice and Tsubu-an (red bean paste) to make them easy to work with. Red bean outside: 40g rice + 60g red bean paste. Rice outside: 70g rice + 30g red bean paste.
5. Use plastic wrap or wet your hand with water to form them into an oval shape. Coat the rice ones with Kinako, sesame seeds, or Aonori.
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
You just need 6 ingredients ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzugYxNMD4Y By using cocoa powder instead of Matcha powder, you can make...
Only 3 Ingredients!!! Looks and tastes refreshing ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8PMzIeEaY Perfect summer treat. And sure, you ...
Very moist and tasty chicken nuggets which satisfies you while on diet :D Okara (soy pulp) is a bean curd refuse which is left after makin...
Sesame Seed Balls (芝麻球) are a Chinese sweet treat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkwHovGOSMc Instead of deep-frying them I baked in t...
Chiffon-like fluffy Matcha cupcakes with red bean sauce. Perfect WAFU combination ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZltUWKYwxg Instea...
Japanese Raindrop Cake looks like a big drop of water. It is a transparent jelly-like cake served with Kuromitsu (brown sugar syrup) and Kin...
I eat sesame seed snack every day, so I decided to make this :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-qf1D8wv20 Since maple syrup is very s...
Tamago Boro (Egg Biscuits) are very popular snack in Japan, especially among kids (from 7 month babies to toddlers)! https://www.youtube....
This is a very basic recipe for Gyoza (fried dumplings)! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffvdeBY6Ryw Gyoza is originally a Chinese dish,...
Harumaki was requested by my darling =) I combined my favorite shrimp and my darling's favorite meat (pork) together. http://www.yo...