Friday, November 7, 2008

Beef Beer Curry and Rice

As it gets colder, I prefer to cook stew, curry, nabe, etc... to warm up. Today, I will translate one of my curry and rice recipes that my blog friend has requested ;)

I wrote this before, but in Japan, we use "curry roux" to make curry and rice. There are many different kinds of curry roux in Japan. For this recipe, I used Vermont Curry! It's a curry roux with a touch of apple and honey. I'm sure it is available in the U.S.! I found that House Foods America Corporation (HFAC) provides it!!! (Their Java Curry is good, too!)

Oh, remember! The "beer" I added softens the beef and makes the curry mild. It is more like stew and easy to eat. Please try it out!

Video Recipe Available :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nusdJYSErw



---------------------------------
Beef Beer Curry and Rice

Difficulty: Easy
Time: 45min
Number of servings: 5

Ingredients:
200g (0.45lb.) thinly sliced beef
200g (0.45lb.) onion
200g (0.45lb.) shimeji mushrooms
200g (0.45lb.) frozen edamame beans in pods
500cc water
200cc beer
125g (0.27lb.) Vermont Curry (Med-Hot) *Japanese curry roux
1 tbsp. cooking oil
salt
pepper
5 servings steamed Japanese white rice
grape tomatoes if desired

Directions:
1. Use Vermont Curry or you can substitute it with any other Japanese curry roux! Doesn't make a big change!



2. Cut thinly sliced beef into bite size pieces, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Slice onion. Remove tough base of shimeji mushroom and break into bite-sized chunks. Thaw and remove the edamame beans from the pods.

3. Heat cooking oil in a large stew pot, saute the sliced onion over medium heat until it softens. Then add the beef and shimeji mushrooms and saute together.



4. When mushrooms get soft, add 500cc water, bring to a boil, skim the scum, add 200cc beer, and turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for about 15 minutes.



5. Turn off the heat, add Vermont Curry curry roux, and mix well until completely melted. Then put on the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes until thickened.



6. Add edamame beans, stir, and cook 3 more minutes.





7. Serve on a hot bed of rice, garnish with grape tomatoes if desired.




My original recipe in Japanese is here.
---------------------------------


Is thinly sliced beef available in your country?
If not, I recommend to use bite size cut chicken! Any kind of meat is basically okay, though ;)

Oh no... too bad. I just received a message and knew that I lost the lottery to run Tokyo Marathon... Okay, I'll run at gym!!!

♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
http://www.youtube.com/ochikeron

♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
http://www.facebook.com/Ochikeron/

♥Follow me on twitter♥
http://twitter.com/ochikeron (English)
http://twitter.com/alohaforever (Japanese)

♥My Cookbook♥

Popular Posts - Last 7 days