Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Nanakusagayu (Seven-Herb Rice Porridge)

Nanakusagayu is the seven-herb rice porridge that we eat in the morning of January 7th to bring longevity and health.

Below are the nanakusa (seven herbs):
- Seri (water dropwort, Oenanthe javanica)
- Nazuna (shepherd's purse)
- Gogyō (cudweed, gnaphalium affine)
- Hakobera (chickweed, stellaria media)
- Hotokenoza (nipplewort, lapsana apogonoides)
- Suzuna (turnip)
- Suzushiro (Daikon)


This morning we had it for breakfast. Every year, I cook it at the night of 1/7 because those herbs go on sale after work, but this year I bought them at the regular price to keep the tradition!

However, my boyfriend had a new year's party last night and he e-mailed me this morning that he couldn't come home. I was so shocked and told him that I wouldn't cook at night and then he came home immediately. Whew...

What a busy morning! I think I am done for today. Ha-ha!

---------------------------------
Nanakusagayu (Seven-Herb Rice Porridge)

Difficulty: Very Easy
Time: 10min
Number of servings: 2

Ingredients:
70g nanakusa (seven herbs)
250g (8.8oz.) cooked white rice (Japanese short-grain rice)
5cm dried kelp (or a pinch of kelp dashi powder is OK)
450cc water
2 mochi (Japanese rice cake) if desired
a pinch of salt

Directions:
1. Wash nanakusa.





2. Lightly boil nanakusa, cut roots, and chop.




3. Combine the water and kelp in a large pot. Bring the water to a boil.




4. When kelp softens, add the cooked white rice.




5. Add nanakusa and lightly season with salt.




6. Toast mochi. If desired.





7. Quickly place the toasted mochi in individual soup bowls and pour 5. over the top.




Traditionally, we don't add mochi but I add them to full my stomach in the morning ;)

My original recipe in Japanese is here.
---------------------------------


Of course you can only use daikon radish or whatever ingredients you like to cook this porridge! Tastes good and good for your stomach after the new year's big meal ;)

Please click below and vote for me.

ブログランキング・にほんブログ村へ

Popular Posts - Last 7 days