Google+

Thursday, April 11, 2013

How to Make Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcakes with Vanilla Custard Whipped Cream 北海道牛奶蛋糕 - Video Recipe

Moist and fluffy cupcakes with custard whipped cream filling.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgWKARYqOnE

I received a lot of requests for Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcakes (北海道牛奶蛋糕). However it is NOT a Japanese sweet. LOL

I don't know why it is named Hokkaido (sounds like a Japanese sweet)! haha



Anyhow, I asked my viewers and they showed me the pictures and the websites, then I finally got an idea that these are chiffon cupcakes with custard whipped cream filling.

Based on that info, I created this recipe. Sorry if this is not what you want… BUT my opinion is… AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS XD My darling said I can sell these cupcakes. LOL Well… I think I'm gonna make this again!!!

---------------------------------
How to Make Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcakes with Vanilla Custard Whipped Cream

Difficulty: Unexpectedly Easy
Time: 2-3hrs (incl. cooling time)

Number of servings:
8-10 (5cm/2inch) muffin cups
12-14 (5cm/2inch) cupcake cups

Necessary Equipment:
electric mixer

Ingredients:
((Egg Yolk Batter))
3 egg yolks
20g (0.7oz.) granulated sugar
40ml cooking oil
40ml milk
60g (2.1oz.) cake flour
((Meringue))
3 egg whites
40g (1.4oz.) granulated sugar
((Vanilla Custard Cream))
1 tbsp. cake flour
1 tbsp. corn starch
40g (1.4oz.) granulated sugar
200ml milk
2 egg yolks
15g (0.5oz.) butter
a few drops of vanilla extract
((Whipped Cream))
100ml heavy whipping cream (fresh cream) *chilled
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
((Finish))
powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)

Directions:
((Preparation))
Separate the eggs and place the whites in a large bowl. Let your egg whites sit in the refrigerator to keep them cold until you are ready to use them (which makes them easier to whip).
((Egg Yolk Batter))
In a bowl, place egg yolks and sugar. Beat them with an electric mixer until white like mayonnaise. Add cooking oil and milk, then mix well with an electric mixer. Sift in cake flour and mix well with a whisk.
((Meringue))
In a large bowl, whip egg whites and half of the granulated sugar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Then add the rest of the granulated sugar and whip them until firm peaks form. *If it's thick enough, you can turn the bowl upside down without it sliding out.
((Combine and Bake))
Add 1/3 Meringue into the Egg Yolk Batter and blend well with a whisk. Then add the rest of the Meringue 1/2 at a time and mix well with a spatula. Preheat the oven to 170C (338F). Spoon the mixture into the cups up to 70% full. Bake muffin cups for 20-25 minutes. Bake cupcake cups for 15-20 minutes. When they are done, place them on a wire rack and leave to cool.
((Vanilla Custard Cream))
Place flour, corn starch, and granulated sugar in a bowl, then mix well with a whisk. Add a bit of milk and mix well. Then add the rest and mix well again. Add egg yolks and mix well. Strain the mixture with a strainer and transfer to a saucepan. Add butter, put on low, stir constantly, and stop the heat when the cream starts to thicken. Mix well with the remaining heat. Add a few drops of vanilla extract to finish. Leave to cool or put in the fridge to cool completely.
((Whipped Cream))
Combine fresh cream and granulated in a dry, clean bowl. Float the bottom of the bowl in ice water, whisk the cream until it forms a stiff peak.
((Finish))
Add the Whipped Cream into the Vanilla Custard Cream 1/3 at a time and mix well with a whisk. Fit a pastry bag with a small round tip, and fill with the cream. Pipe the cream into the chiffon cupcakes and dust with powdered sugar.

You can either serve immediately or chill in the fridge before serving!

↓レシピ(日本語)
http://www.cooklabo.blogspot.jp/2013/04/blog-post.html
---------------------------------


♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
http://www.youtube.com/ochikeron

♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
http://www.facebook.com/Ochikeron/

♥Follow me on twitter♥
http://twitter.com/ochikeron (English)
http://twitter.com/alohaforever (Japanese)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

can I put the cupcake cups into the oven just like they are as well? or do I have to use a tray like you have? because I don't have such a cupcake/muffin baking tray.. thanks

ochikeron san said...

yes you can :)

Anonymous said...

ok thank you!!! I'm so excited to try this out on the weekend ^^

Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken, I think they were originally called "Hokkaido" chiffon cupcakes because a lot of the original recipe posts used fresh cream imported from Hokkaido? There was a lot of hype before about how dairy products from Hokkaido were really good or something...

ochikeron san said...

hype!? so the cream is not imported?! haha but milk in hokkaido is good :)

Anonymous said...

(first anon) so I tried it today and they turned out great!!! I love them :) thanks a lot~~ *__*

also, I made them with all purpose flour!! took away 2 tbsp and added 2 of starch (I don't know which one but I think potatoe and corn both work)..
I used the german type 405 flour which equals american all purpose flour I guess.. also I think it would work without the starch too^^

Anonymous said...

Dear Ochikeron-San,

I am a long-time fan! ^o^ Can I request a kinako smoothie? Thank you!! Please keep up your amazing and inspirational work!

Anonymous said...

Hi ochikeron!
Just wondering if it's ok to leave out the butter in the custard cream? Or will it taste different?
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Dear Ochikeron san,
i ve tried but donno why i get only 5 pcs of muffin cups. It is shrink when it cooled down. Also the texture is heavier. I suppose should be chiffon like or lighter. Follow as yr recipe, where is it go wrong? Please teach me. Thanks

MK.Bee said...

Ochi-san!

I have fallen in loveeeeeee with your youtube channel and I love how the videos are illustrated - very easy to follow with wonderful results!

I have made the chiffon cupcakes before (they were so light & fluffy and amazing!) and I was wondering whether it's possible to make as a whole cake? I wanted to make a mango mousse cake with a chiffon cake as the sponge for my Dad's 50th Birthday soon =) So I was wondering, would I need to double the recipe to make a 9" cake? Also, how long should I bake it in the oven?

Hope to hear from you soon!

~Meiki-chan ^_^

ochikeron said...

thank you Meiki :)
well... if you make it huge, you may not get a fluffy result since the cream inside is very heavy... as you can imagine.
just make many small ones. and maybe use a cupcake stand?! hehe

midia theja said...

Hi Ochikeron,

I made this already and now it's my favorite cake. It tastes yummy and soft! ^^

I copied this recipe to my blog and translated to Indonesian, so my friends here can bake it. I hope you don't mind.

Thank you for sharing :)

Cheers!

ochikeron said...

thank you for referring to my blog post, midia theja :)

Wen Ling said...

Dear Ochikeron san,
Greetings from Brunei!
I've tried baking just now but after taking them out from the oven, they start to shrink tremendously. They taste wonderful! I'm still a beginner though and I really hope to hear a solution from you soon!
Thank you so much!

ochikeron said...

how about after filling in the cream?! maybe they were not fully baked?!

Popular Posts - Last 7 days