One batter which magically divides into three layers, three different textures: a flan base, crème center, and génoise (sponge) top!
The recipe was originated in France and talked about in Japan in 2015.
However, if you expect smooth and creamy flan, you will get disappointed with the texture… it is pretty dense and chewy. Thus, I prefer the chocolate flavor. The flan base is just like chocolate fudge and pretty addictive ;)
Chocolate Magic Cake recipe is HERE:
Magic Custard Cake (3-Layer Cake from 1 Batter)
Number of servings: 15cm (6inch) round cake pan
90g (3.2oz.) granulated sugar *1 tbsp. for egg whites
1 tbsp. warm water
90g (3.2oz.) butter
90g (3.2oz.) cake flour
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 160C (320F).
2. Line the cake pan with parchment paper.
3. Melt the butter in a microwave at 600W for 30 seconds.
4. Warm the milk (not hot).
5. Separate the eggs.
6. Place the egg yolks in a bowl. Add warm water and sugar (leave out 1 tbsp. for egg whites), then beat them with an electric mixer until white like mayonnaise.
7. Add the melted butter little by little and mix well.
8. Sift in flour, add salt, and mix well.
9. Add milk 1/2 at a time, then add vanilla extract and mix well.
10. In a different bowl, lightly whip the egg whites. Then add 1 tbsp. of sugar and beat with an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
11. Mix 9 and 10 together for 4~5 times with a whisk. DO NOT OVER-MIX. Pour the batter into the pan and even out the surface.
12. Bake at 160C (320F) for about 45~50 minutes.
13. Leave to cool completely, then cool in the fridge for over 2 hours. Dust with powdered sugar to finish.
You can garnish with some fruits if you like :)
♥Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel♥
♥Please "Like" me on Facebook♥
♥Follow me on twitter♥
Popular Posts - Last 7 days
You just need 6 ingredients ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzugYxNMD4Y By using cocoa powder instead of Matcha powder, you can make...
Sesame Seed Balls (芝麻球) are a Chinese sweet treat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkwHovGOSMc Instead of deep-frying them I baked in t...
Only 3 Ingredients!!! Looks and tastes refreshing ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ8PMzIeEaY Perfect summer treat. And sure, you ...
Chawanmushi, literally "steamed in a tea cup", is a traditional Japanese savory egg custard appetizer with some little pieces of f...
As seen in Anime or Manga?! I received many requests for this recipe. hehehe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cA4VN_ywfo You can drink ...
Very moist and tasty chicken nuggets which satisfies you while on diet :D Okara (soy pulp) is a bean curd refuse which is left after makin...
Chiffon-like fluffy Matcha cupcakes with red bean sauce. Perfect WAFU combination ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZltUWKYwxg Instea...
Tamago Boro (Egg Biscuits) are very popular snack in Japan, especially among kids (from 7 month babies to toddlers)! https://www.youtube....
Perfect Christmas cake recipe for those who don't have an oven. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_hwcu1K5SE Please use your favorite...
I eat sesame seed snack every day, so I decided to make this :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-qf1D8wv20 Since maple syrup is very s...